Thursday, April 16, 2009

Parent Interview of Internet Safety

For this assignment I interviewed my mother. She is a 56 year old mother of 3 who uses the internet everyday to look at various things.
Find out what the youth or parent knows about one of the internet safety topics you have learned about.
One of the topics that I learned about through this assignment was about internet predators. I asked my mom what she knew about internet predators and she knew quite a lot. She told me to never go to chat rooms, be very careful with who you add as friends on myspace and facebook. She also told me to never have a profile on those websites but she knows I have accounts at both of those places and so she told me to only add people who are my real friends and make everything private to those who are not my friends. Also she warned me that there are "lots of weirdos" out there and the internet is an open place where people lie about who they are so easily.
Share with the youth or parents what you have learned about the topic and share at least one resource you found with him/her on the topic.
I watched the dateline internet special, and I told my mom to watch it too. After she watched it, we discussed the content of the program. We both were amazed at how many teens and adults lead double lives on the internet. It is so easy to become whoever you want to be in the web because no one will find out, or people will eventually.
In your PLE, describe:
who you talked with (no names are needed - just a brief description of age)
Mom Williams, 56 yr old white adult female who has 3 kids and 1 grandchild who is 15 months.
what you shared and how it went (was it positive? negative? hard? easy? valuable or not?)
I shared everything I learned about internet safety with my mom. She agrees that homes need to have internet rules. Growing up my family only had one computer and it was in my parents room. My mom feels that may not have been the best place to put it, but it kept us from doing bad things on it. She placed time limits on our usage, and had parental controls on what we could look at. As a parent she was concerned with who we would chat with, but I told her I myself have gone into chatrooms and I left because people would say weird things to me. I can talk about anything with my mom, and this was just another topic of conversation for us. She was glad that I had to do a project like this because she wished she would have known more about internet safety when all her kids were at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment